Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Reflection

So far, I've enjoyed the book. However, I'm not sure what I have gained out of it. I mean yeah, I've picked up on a bunch of different themes, but what is the significance? What does everything mean? I feel like I haven't learned the essence of the book, and I wonder if I really will. The paper is supposed to be on theme, but if I don't know exactly what the themes mean, how am I supposed to churn out eight pages worth? Maybe active reading will help me understand what everything means. Or, maybe it will just spin me farther and farther into my current cycle. Overall, I guess the only question I have from the book is what exactly have I learned, and what exactly am I learning?

3 comments:

Michael Jackson said...

You call this a reflection. This is pure horse crap, it's like you took a horse and made it take a crap all over your keyboard then wrote this reflection.

Grade: Z--

mbrown8625 said...

Hi Sean,

Two things:

1)I need you to delete michael jackson's comment simply because it does not fall under the heading of school appropriateness.

2) You pose a valid question and I thank you for asking it. Part of this project is to force you to answer these kinds of questions on your own because this is an independent assignment. However, I also want you to take into consideration what happens when one's identity is completely tied to one's family. what happens when that family's identity is tied to time and culture? How does the book skew identity by incorporating such literary techniques as magical realism, solitude, wars and plagues?

P.S. You did an outstanding job with ch. 7-10. Very insightful!
Your grade: A+

mkmcguan said...

I agree with Ms. Brown - please delete T.J.'s comment. Thank you :)
P.S. I appreciate your honesty in your reflection. If we knew all the answers to everything - what would we ever learn?