Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Annotated Bibliographies

  • Otalora, Sergio. "Colombia's Left." Hemisphere: A Magazine of the Americas Volume 11 (2002): pages 28-31

This is an article that, in great detail, explains the political history of Colombia. What grabbed my eye initially was the talk of a Liberal government taking over after a long run by the incumbent Conservative party. I thought this was very similar to what went on in One Hundred Years of Solitude. The author of this article describes also factors that played into the switching of power, in addition to how society in Colombia reacted to everything that came along with it.
I think that this source will help me greatly in writing my paper. My main focus is how Marquez was really writing about his displeasure with the government in his native Colombia, and this article helps show some of the chief problems occuring there during Marquez's time. Consequently, this gives me a fair amount of information to help base my paper off of. Otalora, the writer of this article, seems to be very knowledgable in this field and provides a fantastic source for me to work with. It is crucial in helping me tie together the connection between Marquez's feelings towards the Colombian government and what we writes in One Hundred Years of Solitude.




This, although appearing as a somewhat broad and general source, is actually quite helpful. Wikipedia offers much info from a monstrous variety of topics, definitley including Gabriel Garcia Marquez and his works, beliefs, and history, and even more information on the Colombian government, both past and present. These topics are all vital for the development of my paper and in proving my thesis that Marquez was really writing in regards to the Colombian government in One Hundred Years of Solitude.

1 comment:

mbrown8625 said...

Sean,

you are on a roll!!! Your work is truly representive of what I envisoned as I created this project. This annotated bibliography is currently an A. I can't wait to see the rest!